Wednesday, May 02, 2007

SONG OF THE WEEK: Bis "This Is Fake D.I.Y."



SONG OF THE WEEK: BIS – “This Is Fake D.I.Y.”

THIS IS!!!! an amazing song, from one hell of a fun, adorable, hip, geeky, but motsly poppy band that had the balls and cute spring dress wearing keyboardist to back it up. Ladies and gentlemen I give you, Scotland’s best pop trio, BIS! (composed of Steven Clark (Sci-fi Steven), John Clark (John Disco), and Amanda MacKinnon (Manda Rin)
Addicted to their punk rock length songs of just over 2 minutes, with their 808ish keyboards and fists in the air sing-alongs, I WAS ADDICTED. Ask anyone that knew me in the mid-90’s. But, after talking to Shawn yesterday about music and bands freedom, of doing what they want, and making the music they want to. i.e. The Replacements, The Jam, Arctic Monkeys, etc. I felt this post was a must, and in a way a dedication to Shawn and a band I overlooked.
After releasing singles after singles in Europe on The Delgado’s label Chemikal Underground, it wasn’t until K Records found HUGE talent in these kids and put a Heavenly split 7” out. Then Mike-D (Beastie Boys) of Grand Royal picked Bis up, and finally putting out a full length, with 18 pop hits, for them.

Being Bis was easy at first, seeing as EVERYONE was in love with them. Upon forming in 1994, it would take this band ONLY one year to make it to “Top Of The Pops” on their own D.I.Y. style, and way of making music. The band ate, drank, slept (not in that way, please!), walked, breathed, everything BIS. They were recording masters putting out so many EP’s, 7”’s and by 1997 they had their sophomore album “Social Dancing.”
At this time Bis had also put their instruments and vocals to the Cartoon Network’s smash “Powerpuff Girls” closing credits and Bis were now even more everywhere than ever. The band put out one more album on SpinArt Records called “Return To Central” which never sold, and the band broke up. Amanda wound up marrying one of my friends Ryan from the band Discount and had the honor of meeting her in Gainesville whole seeing Superchunk.
Ryan and Amanda got together to make a side project called The Kitchen. I’m thinking Ryan and Amanda met while Bis and Discount were busy making 7”/EP splits with every D.I.Y band out there. Bis wound up sharing 7”’s with The Apples In Stereo, J Church, Lugworm, Heavenly and touring extensively. In time, Bis went in one ear and out the other for me, but recently found ALL of my Bis stuff and uploaded it.
I heard of some other projects they did like Data Panik and a Bis reunion recently. Good luck to these kids, and THANK YOU for the awesome catchy tunes.

ENJOY!

DOWN THE TRACK HERE!!!

B.Quain

No comments:

LOST, music, movies, football/soccer, etc. GET IT GET IT

My photo
Everything Liverpool Football Club in Orlando, FL. Pubs to watch matches, Fans talk with, Shops to buy LFC gear. WE'LL NEVER WALK ALONE...